Civil blood by Chris Hepler

I was watching a YouTube video of someone saying that basically all themes have already been used by others...  True. Let's be clear,  this is a vampire tale,  but from the perspective of science and not that of old myths and legends.  So clearly, Chris Hepler is not the first to take a swing at it. But I loved his angle.

This tale is about an agent whose job is to catch those with the vampire virus for a secret government funded health agency. The story begins with our protagonist contacting the virus herself. As she works for the agency,  she knew how to hide her symptoms. She goes ahead trying to create a better system where she can survive and live even with the virus.

I love the perspective in which the story is told. She basically acts as a double agent. Working for her agency while infected. The author's writing style is quite odd though, even if great. I find myself always lost every time a reach the next chapter. To me,  this would be the only negative as it took some getting used to.

As I review fantasy, I try to ignore as much vampire stories as possible. I have to say, I was hooked instantly. You could blame it on the TV series I've been following recently or you could take it from me and appreciate the author's writing style.

The scenes in this book switch as it would in a movie; quite an odd style. This creates confusion because, instead of telling you where the character is, or where he is going, the character is suddenly at a location doing something else,  as you would see in a movie. For a few seconds you wonder what is going on and where he is. As there is no transition, I myself,  found it a weird reading experience.

Overall,  this was a good read. A well written book that grips you from the first chapter.

Buy book

Comments

Reviews