Sleeping with the blackbirds by Alex Pearl

This is a story of a boy growing up in a dysfunctional family. His sanctuary is his garden with it's many quirks. When things go wrong,  magic from the garden takes his side and comes alive to safe him. The scenes in this book are incredibly well described, teleporting you to a garden too alive to be a dream. It is the melody of soul of a child calling to be cared for.

After reading a lot of books and giving reviews this past three weeks, I have finally found one worthy of pointy hats realm.

As I read this story sent to me by the author, I felt myself to be a child again in the dark school library reading Listening For Lions by Gloria Whelan.

Sleeping with the blackbirds is certainly a real story. There was a sense of nostalgia. It tasted of simple fantasy. It smelled of dusty books in a dark library. The kind that seems to go on, holding you in place.



Read this book

Comments

Reviews